Disable System Beep on Windows
I just reinstalled XP and noticed that when I try to backspace past the end of a text box (or any text field, really), there is a really loud and annoying beep “oddly enough” called a “system beep.”
How to disable the system beep:
- Right-click on My Computer
- Click on Device Manager in the list on the left
- Go to View –> Show hidden devices
- Under Non-Plug and Play Drivers right-click on Beep and select Properties
- Under Driver tab in Startup field select Disabled
- Restart (you weren’t expecting that, were you? 😉 )
- Enjoy your beep-free computer!
The System Beep Mystery
This whole system beep problem kind of interested me. I haven’t had that problem before, on my previous install or on any of my previous computers, so I looked up the search trends for “system beep” on Google Adwords Keyword Tool. It didn’t show me any numerical values but when I compared the Dec 2006 bar to Nov 2007 bar, there was approximately a 40% increase in searches.
What’s going on!? Is it a common Windows problem now?